Reliable Preventive Dentistry in Spokane, WA
ROUTINE TEETH CLEANING
A dental prophylaxis or routine teeth cleaning is preformed by your dental hygienist and is the basic maintenance to keeping your mouth healthy, free from gum disease and tooth decay. Your dental hygienists at North Cedar Dental work hard to specialize every routine cleaning and education to be patient specific, since every patient has different needs and wants.
If you have any questions regarding your oral health ask your hygienist at your next dental appointment.
At North Cedar Dental, we specialize in custom made athletic mouth guards for any child or adult. We care so much about everyone’s oral health we make a complimentary athletic mouth guard annually for any of our patients. Just let us know you are interested when you schedule your next appointment.
Protect your mouth, your teeth are invaluable to your over all health!
- We custom make all of the mouth-guards for the Spokane Chiefs
- Mouth guards come in a variety of colors and are customized with your name
- We recommend a mouth guard for anyone who is active. From bike riding to hockey and anything in between!
X-ray images, also called dental radiographs, are among the most valuable tools a dentist has for keeping your mouth and teeth healthy. By understanding what the structures of the mouth look like normally on an X-ray film, dentists can diagnose problems in the teeth and jaws. Recommendations on frequency for digital x-rays depend on the patient’s specific needs and risks to keep their oral health from disease and decay.
Here at North Cedar Dental, we have invested in digital x-ray imaging machines to reduce radiation exposure to all of our patients. There is less waiting time due to decreased exposure time, there is no developing involved, and image quality can be more diagnostic when reading and comparing digital x-rays.
What are x-rays able to show us?
- Areas of decay that are not visible to the naked eye or that are located in between the teeth
- Decay under an existing filling
- Alerts dentist and dental hygienist of bone loss caused from periodontal disease
- Reveals infections in the bone located around the root of teeth relating to the need of a root canal
The fluoride varnish we use at North Cedar Dental is a 5% Sodium Fluoride Varnish which contains 22,600 ppm fluoride. It has a strong desensitizing action when applied to dental surfaces, treating hypersensitivity quickly and easily. This product sets rapidly on contact with saliva, resulting in patient comfort and acceptance.
Fluoride varnish will leave a thin film on the teeth after application; you are able to drink water right away but must wait 30 minutes to consume any food or other beverages.
Fluoride varnish is recommended to every patent as a safe guard to keep us away from tooth decay, strengthen enamel and root surfaces, protect from acid erosion, and to decrease tooth sensitivity.
PREVIDENT 5000 TOOTHPASTE
Colgate Prevident 5000 is 1.1% Sodium Fluoride prescription dental toothpaste with 5,000 ppm fluoride – the highest strength you can find. In comparison, most regular, over the counter toothpastes provide only 1,000- 1,100 ppm fluoride.
What patients would benefit from Prevident 5000?
- Patients at risk for root decay
- Patients at risk for tooth decay
- Patients with dry mouth (xerostomia)
- Patients with braces
- Patients with crown and bridge restorations
- Patients with tooth sensitivity
If you have any of these risk factors we might recommend Prevident 5000 prescription toothpaste to help keep your teeth strong and healthy. Prevident is sold at North Cedar Dental for $15.00 and should last you approximately six months. You do not need an appointment to pick up more Prevident.
Sealants are a prevention measure for children from tooth decay. Any tooth with deep grooves or hard to keep clean areas are usually recommended sealants.
A sealant is a clear or shaded plastic material that is applied to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth (molars and premolars), where decay occurs most often. The sealant acts as a barrier, protecting the decay-prone areas of the back teeth from plaque and acid.
Who should have sealants applied?
- Children: they receive the greatest benefit form having sealants applied to their teeth, especially to newly erupted permanent teeth.
- Even those who receive topical applications of fluoride or who live in communities with fluoride water may still benefit from sealants
- Fluoride helps fight decay on smooth surfaces of teeth, but is least effective in pits and fissures where sealants are applied.
Antioxident ProVantage, is a topically applied dental gel, using patent pending antioxidants, xylitol and essential oils that are specifically formulated for use in the mouth. The gel is cool and flavorful. This salivary antioxident gel will freshen breath while soothing soft tissue in the oral cavity resulting in improved appearance of tissue and a pleasant, fresh feeling in the mouth while creating a pH environment that is hostile to damage causing bacteria.
Patients who could benefit from daily Antioxident Gel:
• Dry Mouth (xerostomia)
• Bad Breath (halitosis)
• Burning tongue/geographic tongue
• Red and tender gums
• Taking multiple prescription medications
• Chemotherapy/Radiation therapy history
For more information on Antioxident gel visit periosciences.com or ask Dr. Smith at your next dental visit
Nitrous Oxide (aka: “laughing gas”) is offered here for a small fee if you have feeling of apprehension toward any dental treatment. We are happy to help make your experience as easy and smooth as possible, but nitrous oxide is not intended to put you to sleep. Our goal is to reduce anxiety so you can leave feeling relaxed and satisfied with your treatment.